Friday, August 29, 2008

8 is ENOUGH

Did ya'll watch Obama's speech last night, accepting the Democratic nomination? I admit it: I cried. I did. I admire his passion and his integrity. He NEVER makes personal attacks against his opponents; he takes the high road, choosing to do what is RIGHT over what would work for his campaign.

He knows what is like, because he as lived it, to struggle to pay back monstrous student loans. He knows what it is like to watch parents make personal sacrifices in order to provide for their children. He has young children, so he knows how important it is for each child in this country to have health-care and to get the best education possible. He is raising two daughters, so he will fight for equal pay and equal opportunities for the women of this country. He speaks about this country's PEOPLE; you can tell he is a man full of compassion and empathy. He said, and you can tell he believes it (because he has spend the early part of his career proving it): "It's not about me. It's about YOU."

He also said, and it made me hoot and holler, something to the effect of "Look at the state of this country. Our economy is in horrible shape. Our people are out of work and having to choose between paying for gas or buying groceries. WHY WOULD WE REWARD THE REPUBLICANS FOR THIS SITUATION BY GIVING THEM 4 MORE YEARS??" Seriously. I just do not understand how anyone can think that the situation this country is in right now is in any way acceptable. It is not. It's a fucking mess, in every city across the country; record numbers of people without jobs, without homes, without health insurance. NOT ACCEPTABLE. How can anyone (and there are people who I love and respect who plan to) vote for ANOTHER 4 YEARS of the same political machine who got us where we are today?? You may not think Obama is experienced enough, or you may be concerned about his patriotism, but how can anyone not admit that it is time for a regime change?? As he said, "Eight years is enough."

We MUST take a chance on this relatively un-proven politician; whatever he brings to office HAS to be an improvement over who has inhabited it for the past 8 years. We have to try something new, because, as Obama paraphrased last night without being quite so blunt, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

The Republicans have had the past 8 years to show us what they want this country to be. It turns out that their bank accounts have grown and grown, while the average person has seen his or her personal income drop by $3000 a year. Gas and oil are at the record prices, as are groceries. Hardworking people have lost their jobs, and are losing their homes. The Republicans have had 8 years of running this country; we now have the largest deficit ever and we are headed toward another depression.

As Dr. Phil says: "How's that workin' for ya?"

It's time. for. CHANGE.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

8 was more than enough. my neighbor and i were just talking about how scary it is if he doesn't make it. i am so afraid of what is going to happen not only to this country but to this world if he doesn't. we can only hope that the republicans don't get away with any crap fixing the voting results like they did last time or the stupid shit like "obama is a muslim, be careful" anyway, let's just keep trying to educate the ignorant stubborn ones (yes, including some of my own family also)

kate said...

Marianne, I know! What if he doesn't win?? I can't wrap my brain around the fact that fully 50% of this country is seriously considering voting for more of the same. Oh, and don't get me started on the whole "Obama is a Muslim" thing....

Jodi said...

So what does David think of McKain's choice for VP? Maybe she wasn't Governor up there when he was there...

You know, I've been such a good Democrat, not that I haven't voted for a Republican if I think they're the best candidate, but damn, I'm having such a hard time getting past the flag things. Even if he doesn't want to wear a flag lapel pin, or have a flag on his plane in a prominent place, or seems to dislike the Pledge of Allegiance - you'd think he'd at least be smart enough to PRETEND he did. He's not running for President of "nothing" he's running for President of THE UNTIED STATES OF AMERICA. A country I'm DAMN proud of and we're lucky to live in.

I don't know why, I just have such bad feelings about that and can't seem to get past it.

Whadda ya think?

Anonymous said...

I know I have been instructed to always agree with Kate here....but, I wish Jodi would put that comment on her own page so I could agree with her! Sheri

kate said...

Dear Jodi AND Sheri,
Bite me.
kate

Just kidding! You are entitled to disagree with me, EVEN ON MY OWN BLOG.

Here's what I think about the flag thing, and he has said as much: there are PLENTY of people dutifully wearing their flag lapel pins, and flying in planes with flags all over 'em, and waving their little flags and patriotism all over the damn place...and then continuing to send innocent young men and women to die fighting a war that, by now, we ALL know is bullshit. Furthermore, while proudly singing the anthem and wearing a red, white and blue tie, they are LYING TO EVERY MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD in this country about the war, about where our money is going, about the gas and housing crisis. Obama prefers to show HIS patriotism by actually caring about the people of this country and vowing to make changes to improve the lives of Amricans. And Jodi, I disagree that he should at least "pretend". The flag, for some of us, has come to represent something ugly: the "We're American and we're better than every other country" mentality. And that mentality is EXACTLY why people from other countries want to come to OUR land and kick OUR asses.

ahem.

Jodi said...

What, you don't think EVERY country flies their flag and is proud of it? Maybe this war isn't what it was "supposed" to be when we went, but yet we have to protect not only the US, but everyone else from terrorists. While it would be nice if "everyone could just get along" that will never happen, and while I sure don't want Jake or anyone else to have to go to war - it will happen again. I hope Obama does get us out of Iraq and Afghanistan, but just because we're there doesn't mean we shouldn't be any less patriotic and proud of our country. Yea, we go to war, but we're also first to help when ANY country needs us. We're a very giving and compassionate country.

So why can't Obama proudly display the flag while caring about every man, woman and child? To me, consiously deciding NOT to display the flag or take to heart our country's Pledge of Allegiance is unAmerican and is scares me.

TRUST ME, I wish I didn't feel this way, I've NEVER voted for a Republican for President and I probably won't this time either. For the first time since I've turned 18, I probably just won't vote.

I Know you're passionate about this so you won't hurt my feelings if you delete this post. It's YOUR blog and it won't bother me a bit.

Love ya sis!

Anonymous said...

I've heard from a lot of people that they just won't vote this year....that saddens me but I can sure understand it. We can be thankful we live somewhere where we are entitile to our own opinions. I do leam more towards Jodi's way of thinking but Kate, a ton of people feel just like you do!Both parties are always sure they have the answers and usually after 8 years of either party America is ready for change....seem's like it cycles. I do fly a Flag and am proud to do so. Sheri

kate said...

Sister, of COURSE I won't delete your comments! Along with all my other bleeding-heart-liberalism, I sure don't believe in censorship. Besides, I LOVE to hear what other people think; it does help me understand a little bit more.

The cool thing is, we're allowed to disagree and still love each other.

Anonymous said...

Well said Kate! You are both strong womaen with an opinion...beautiful!! S

Dee said...

I wasn't going to get in this but I have a statement.
No one can say it has been a bad 8 years. Only the last 2 have been going down hill.
Before that, the economy was the best it has been for many years. Building was booming, real estate prices were excellant, investments had great returns, gas was at reasonable prices. ( I could go on ) .
The president does not have complete control whether a Democrat or Republican, he is not King. The Congress and House are the ones who set the laws and The Federal Reserve controls the interest rates, ( loans, banks, etc.)
Our President should be proud of our country and proud of our flag, no matter who he or she is. Why else would he want to be President? Too many people have died for our flag so that we can voice these opinions without being executed for them. Don't disrespect those sacrifices by hating the flag or our country.