Tuesday, July 6, 2010

::Anna-isms::

Yesterday afternoon Anna was watching one of her favorite shows, Pit Boss. It's a "reality show" of sorts on Animal Planet, about a group of little people in LA who rescue pit bulls. There is the main guy, "Shorty", a couple of male helpers and a female secretary, none of them over 3 and a half feet tall. So yesterday Anna calls me in to the TV room: "Mom! Mom! I just found out that that girl on this show is a lesbian"....then:

"What's not to love about a tiny lesbian?!?"

Oh god, I love that kid.

That reminds me of once when she was probably 3 or 4, you know the age where they will blurt out anything no matter how inappropriate? We were in the grocery store when we practically ran right into a little person pushing a shopping cart with 2 of his own children inside. I watched, paralyzed with dread, as Anna sized him up (har har); she had never seen a little person before in her life. I couldn't run the risk of telling her not to say anything, because then of course she'd loudly ask why. I held my breath as she silently watched him pass us, terrified she'd blurt out something mortifying.

Then, to my complete delight, she said "Well that's a cute little daddy!!"

She has such a beautiful, open and loving heart. If I do nothing else of consequence in this world, I will always be proud of the daughter I have the great fortune to raise.

6 comments:

Dee said...

Well, and aren't you mellow today! It was only a week or so ago that you weren't sure she'd live to adulthood.

OK, those are cute. and she's a sweetheart. and outspoken. and kind, most of the time., and,and ---and we love her all the time.

JACKI said...

Kole-ism...
I was in a little tiny Hostess Bakery shop the other day with Kole & Allie and a REALLY LARGE guy walked right by us and stopped to look at somthing pretty much 4 feet away. I stared at Kole because he too is at the age that he blurts out embarrassing things. I just knew he was going to say somthing but the man was too close to us for me to tell Kole to stop staring. Kole blurts out, 'Mom look! Big butt belly! Look mom! HA! HAAAA!'
I wanted to shrink up in a corner and dieeeee...

kate said...

Big butt belly??!! HAHAHAHAHAAA!! I love that kid!

Don't you just hate that, when you can't say anything to warn them and you just KNOW they are going to say something mortifying?! Oh man...that's good....

Jodi said...

This is why I love little kids and old people. Doesn't matter who's nearby, they say whatever the hell they want to - and loud enough that everyone can hear!

kate said...

So....are you calling yourself and "old person" now, Jod??

Dee said...

I see me in that group !