Tuesday, October 14, 2008

food for thought:

Ayman al-Zawahiri, a prominent leader of al-Qaeda, once said of America: “We can’t bring down the superpower, but we can make them bring themselves down.”

Well, guess what: since the Sept. 11th, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center in New York City, that is EXACTLY what has happened in this country. Gas, oil and food prices have sky-rocketed, the unemployment rate is through the roof, the housing market and the stock market have crashed and we have watched our 401-K plans and life-savings become practically worthless. Aside from the ridiculously wealthy, every person in this country is living in fear: forget about retirement; we're afraid we won't be able to make our mortgage payments next month.

Our economy is in danger of completely collapsing and we are seriously facing reliving the Great Depression but for the "bail out" of roughly $700 billion dollars.

Guess how much money we've spent on the war to date: $700 billion dollars.

In the simplest terms, we have spent the money that we needed to maintain OUR economy on fighting a war in Iraq. Meanwhile, their stock market is going up, up, UP.

So with one well-planned terrorist attack, al Qaeda now gets to sit back and watch our economy literally implode. They KNEW we would grab our cowboy hats, saddle up the horses and rush into war that is un-winnable and would cost us billions of dollars. That's pretty fucking brilliant.

Who is paying for the bail out? The American people: you and me and everyone you know. The bailout is going to cost every man, woman and child in this country $2300. As Bill Maher said in a recent show: "That's right, we get to bail out the banks so that they can turn around and loan us that money back WITH INTEREST!"

He went on to say "The good news is that a new study shows that the flow of illegal immigrants has decreased. I knew we could solve that problem: all we had to do was make our country a place that even destitute Mexicans don't want to live in!"

Please, please consider the state of our country and VOTE FOR CHANGE. Real change. Not four more years of the same mentality that got us where we are today.

6 comments:

David said...

Oh Kate you're such a liberal. We all know the problems were caused by those democrats running the congress the last two years. Yeah the rich and greedy had nothing to do with it :-)

Fancy Schmancy said...

Kate, I never thought about it like that, in those terms. This is one of the reasons that I like to surround myself with people that are smarter and funnier than I am. Thanks for giving me a different perspective, even though I already knew who I was voting for months and months ago.

Heidi said...

Have you heard about the book "The Wrecking Crew" by Thomas Frank? It's about conservatism in our country. Really scary stuff. You should check it out.

Imez said...

I'm not so sure Obama will get us out of iraq.

Ron Paul would get us out immediately.

Just sayin'.

(you know I love ya baby, like I love Fresca! Am required to harass you about Obama.)

kate said...

Imez, for the record, I don't think Obama is perfect; I think Kucinich is much more liberal, much more of a true Democrat. But, as long as we have a two party system (sigh), I have to cast my vote for the one who is going to do the most for us "regular" people, not his rich and greedy cronies.

Heidi, I haven't read that; I'll check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Ron Paul!

Imez, I must learn more about you.

And for the record, and not to be argumentative or snarky... I'm regular people. And I'm not living in fear.

Just sayin'.