Wednesday, September 19, 2007

So What Can I Do?

All my life, my family has teased me about being (waaaaayyyy before it became cool or hip to be so) a "tree-hugger" or "crunchy" or "granola". And yet I still struggle with making constant, mindful, green choices. Our society is so geared toward convenience and quantity vs. quality. Just going to the grocery store can be overwhelming (WHY is there so much packaging?!) Yes, I have cloth bags and I try to remember to take them, but sometimes I forget them at home and then I'm faced with the dreaded bag decision: paper = trees, plastic = petroleum. (The answer, I believe, is PAPER. At least trees are renewable and then you can take the bags back to the store and reuse them. If you remember to.) Anyway, there a thousand choices we make throughout the course of a day that can make a difference, from recycling everything we can, of course, to switching all lightfixtures to compact florescent bulbs (CFLs) and using cloth napkins instead of paper (so much nicer, anyway!)

I found this (click to link) website titled, appropriately, So What Can I Do? It's full of wonderful ideas and suggestion to get started toward making the world a better place. And what's not to love about that?

So what changes have YOU made toward living more "green"?

1 comment:

Karama said...

Hi Kate,

I'm so pleased you are enjoying So what can I do. Thanks for spreading the word, and keep up the good work at Sweet Potato Pie (my favorite pie!)