Monday, September 17, 2007

A lovely place to visit, but...

Several times during our weekend spent on the Oregon coast, someone would ask me if I missed living there. The answer: a resounding "Hell no!"

We had a wonderful time with my family (and even got a "bonus" visit with Uncle Ra Ra) and we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the beach. What's not to love about the soft sand between your toes, the roar of the ocean waves, noticing the change of tides, spending hours walking the beach, hunched over, looking for "treasures".... But at home, as we prepared for our trip, we were having temperatures in the mid-70s, with crisp, cool nights and the leaves are just starting to change and flutter down the street. You know, AUTUMN. That's the thing that I probably missed most, during our 8 years on the coast: the changing of the seasons. Just about the time I've decided I've had enough of HOT, sunny weather and wearing shorts, flip-flops and tank-tops every day, the weather changes and it's time for pants and even the occasional sweater. I dig out my knitting needles and yarn and dream about sitting in front of the fire-place with a good book. Then, a few months from now, we'll wake one morning to the first snow. The Ponderosa Pines covered in a blanket of white and we'll bundle up and go outside to see if we can work up a snowman. Then we'll go inside, have something warm to drink and settle down under the blankets. What I know about myself is that I NEED to live where there are distinct seasons, to notice the passing of time by the different smells, the migrating birds, the flowers coming and going, the change of temperatures. The ceremony of putting summer clothes away and bringing out the socks, boots, and sweaters.

But the coast IS a lovely place to visit. Anna, sweet Anna, ran down to the beach and said "Home! I'm home!" We moved just as she turned 3; she doesn't really have a memory of it. But during the first 3 years of her life, we spent so much time on the beach that I often wonder if, once she's grown, the mountains and high-desert will feel like home to her or the coastal climate. Hopefully both.

3 comments:

Berlinswhimsy said...

Another post that resonates with me... The coast "grew" on me. Especially our time in Manzanita but it never was ME. But my children are another story---they miss the ocean and the sand and I think they probably think of it as home. I have often wondered where they will prefer to live when they grow up and can decide these things.

And I fully agree with you----time seemed to slip by at the coast and I think it was because of the lack of seasons. I missed a TRUE Fall and Winter (snow!!!) while I lived there. It was almost always the same there---either rain & fog, or rain & fog with brief moments of sun... THAT I don't miss...

Cami said...

I love the change of seasons, too. They help me feel connected to the passage of time. When I lived in southern California, the days flowed into one another without much thought. Kind of disconcerting when I think about it. I think experiencing the seasons is a good reminder for us humans that WE are part of the earthly cycle, too.

kate said...

beautifully said, Cami.

And because I'm a dork: Look! Two of my favorite bloggers commenting on mine! woohoo!