Thursday, January 7, 2010

I was born in the wrong era.

There is an etsy shop called Timeless Vixen Vintage and I swear, she has the most incredible inventory of 1950s dresses.

I wish I'd seen this when I was looking for a wedding dress:

Of course, I have no waist whatsoever, but, well, that's what girdles are for, right?
aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Look at this beauty:
Stunning.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And then there's this. Oh my god. The color! The details! Gah!!
SWOOOON!!! Seriously, how could you not feel GORGEOUS in this?

aaaaaaaaaaaa
Ok, look at this little number:
I would wear her on an afternoon date, driving up the California coast in a 1950s convertible, of course. Sunglasses, scarf and heels. AAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The lovely wants to be dancing to Louis Prima, under the stars.

aaaaaaaaa
And this. Oh lord. My favorite: I want to swish around the house, in heels and pearls, making cocktails wearing this:


Why don't we dress like this anymore? So elegant, so feminine, so, so beautiful.

Sigh.

9 comments:

JACKI said...

I could not agree more! I absolutly 100% these dresses!!!!

Linda said...

So elegant, so feminine, so, so beautiful,... and so, so, SO uncomfortable! Can you imagine wearing a girdle and heels ALL DAY LONG!!! Hey, us girls fought long and hard for the right to wear compfy faded jeans, tshirts, and flip flops.

But they ARE beautiful, no doubt. So delicate and feminine indeed.

Jodi said...

Wow, her prices are sure high! I have a 50s dress that I bought for $30 that I wore on my first cruise! Has the little "wing" type things on the sleeves. I'd be happy to sell it to her for half of what she gets for those! Actually, I'm taking it on this cruise too.

Anonymous said...

You need to be writing for a dressmaker!!!...I laughed my a-- off reading your descriptions. Did you create Roman Holiday movie in another life? Or Gigit Goes to Rome? Why do they all look like they are made for Barbie?

Anonymous said...

You need to be writing for a dressmaker!!!...I laughed my a-- off reading your descriptions. Did you create Roman Holiday movie in another life? Or Gigit Goes to Rome? Why do they all look like they are made for Barbie?

kate said...

Oh dear, Anonymous, I wish I'd lived back in the day of Roman Holiday! I was meant to be Audrey Hepburn, but sadly things went horribly awry and I was born during the plaid bellbottoms and polyester era.

Dee said...

So it took 55 years for these styles to be appreciated again. But, they will never be completely popular with the general public. But the sad thing is------those dressy dresses would have cost , perhaps $25, while a housedress would have been 9.95 at Penny's. WOW
Those are truly lovely! Would make anyone feel like a princess.

Ariadne said...

Oooohhhhh, Kate. I am pretty sure we could make these. And then wear them whilst swishing around at Buttercuppity??

I would probably fall in the heels, though. These are GORGEOUS and really, really make me want to lose weight in a way that Old Navy clothes do not!! :)

ONLARUYURKEN said...

süper