Wednesday, October 10, 2007

a different kind of pain in the butt

I've just realized I've gotten wwwaaaaayyy too comfortable with this blogging thing when I briefly considered taking (and posting!) a photo of the world's biggest, blackest, baddest bruise...which just happens to be on my arse.

Yesterday was the kind of day that makes me LOVE my job. We had a "work day" out at Jane's Raptor Rehabilitation Center (click to go see her site) and as always, it's one of the highlights of my year. First of all, I so adore her and admire the work she does. She will take in the most dire of cases, including a bald eagle that had the top portion of its beak shot off (!!) and, when Janie first saw her at a rehab center in Alaska, was just days away from being euthanized. Janie refused to let that happen, paid to have her brought down to N. Idaho and has arranged an unprecedented surgery to attach a prosthetic beak made out of titanium!!

I didn't take any pictures yesterday, but on this page are photos of recent releases, including me helping examine a snowy owl that was brought in. David and Anna and I are going down for a special tour on Sunday so I'll take pictures of the center and the birds then. Here's me last year:

Anyway, occasionally a group of us from the Wildlife Program head out there and spend the day doing whatever we can to help; yesterday we put a roof atop an 80 foot long aviary that will soon house a Golden Eagle who will use the space to relearn to fly. It was HOT yesterday, almost 80 degrees, and the most beautiful fall day. We worked very hard, climbing across two by fours to nail down special predator-proof netting. I was proud of my ability to keep up (and often, ahem, surpass the guys) throughout the day....not being a "girl" about the heights or the work. And then....I was leaning too far off my ladder, and started to fall. I managed to grab hold of a beam as I fell, which caused me to swing back toward the building and I dropped straight down, landing on my butt right atop a 2x4. Not wanting to make a big deal about it, I jumped up, brushed off and said "Oh yeah, THAT'S gonna bruise". By the time I got home last night I was sore all over, as if I'd been in a car accident. And you should see this bruise....it's quite spectacular.

But I think I'll leave it to your imagination...

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Aw come on - show us the bruise!

Sounds like you had a great day! I used to LOVE doing that kind of stuff when I worked for Fish and Game and State Police. Any day out of the office is fun~! Unless of course, you're cleaning the yards of the Tribe!

Glad you got to go out and enjoy the beautiful day and a worthy cause sis!

Dee said...

OMG that bruise is horrific !!!!! Glad you enjoyed the day and being so productive, as the resulting pain must have been really awful !!! I hope your spine is ok. OW OW OW OW OW OWWWWWW

Linda said...

I want to see pics of the bald eagle with the prosthetic beak.

Speaking of prosthetics,... we haven't seen or heard ANYTHING about Jodi's boobs! What's up with that????