Friday, December 7, 2007

learning curve

A week or so ago, one of my favorite bloggers showed some mouth-watering photos of Aebleskivers. (I know, I know, last week I hit you with Scherenschnitte, now it's Aebleskivers. Hey, I was born on the wrong continent.) Anyway, Aebleshkivers are DARLING little spherical pancakes. And Amber made them look so lovely. And since pancakes are one of the 3 things Anna will eat, I simply had to rush over to amazon.com and buy an Aebleshkiver pan! So I tore open the box from amazon and immediately whipped up a batch, carefully following directions I'd downloaded from the internet. I thought I'd blow Anna's mind with some for dinner! Fun! New! Pancakes! Topped with raspberry sauce and some powdered sugar! Best mommy on the planet!


Someone (be sure and look at her pictures before looking at mine) forgot to mention the learning curve:






I'm afraid that now Anna has Post-Tramatic-Pancake syndrome.

sigh.

4 comments:

Berlinswhimsy said...

Oh, Kate. Don't worry because mine looked the same way the first time I tried it, too. Yes, there is a little bit of a learning curve. Here are a few pointers (and forgive me if you've already tried them): butter each indentation quite well (a little pat in each one before you begin and then use a brush to cover the entire well); put a little butter in each time you make another one; make sure your pan is preheated and don't attempt to turn them until they have formed a sturdy crust; turn them very quickly and when some of the batter goes out of the well, use your turning implement to push it back in. I use one knitting needle to turn them but some people use two--you can also try a skewer or a fork with a bent tine. I hope this helps and please don't give up!! Keep at it...

Dee said...

Well, those look really disgusting. Anna could starve at this rate. However, the tips (see above ) no doubt will help !

Jodi said...

Yummmmmm...

See, that's why I don't cook. Things look so good until I attempt them. But now that you've spent all that money on that fancy pan - you HAVE to learn how to make them.

Linda said...

Ditto Jodi's comment. 'at right there's why I don't cook, baby.