Tuesday, December 8, 2009

::send band-aids::

Ok, so if you've been reading this blog for long, or if you know me in person, you're familiar with the, um, tenuous relationship I have with my ex-husband's girlfriend. In short, she is not supportive of the on-going friendship E. and I have, and the way we continue to co-parent our daughter. Because hello? We are (and will always be) Anna's parents. Anyway, I'll spare you the details, but there was another uncomfortable situation this past weekend and it's time to take the bull by the horns.

Because she and E. have been together for 3 years and she has not warmed up to me (or Anna) in the slightest, I guess I feel the need to make one last-ditch attempt. Because I can not handle it when someone doesn't like me. Because our dislike for each other puts E. in an uncomfortable position of having to defend each of us to the other. Because it would just feel so much better if she and I had some sort of friendship. Because I'm a nice person, damn it.

And so I reached out and made the phone call yesterday. We are going to meet for coffee tomorrow night to discuss "things". I'm hoping to clear the air, to explain some misunderstandings. I want her to know that I will always be part of E's life, because we have a child together, and I want nothing more than for E. to be happy. I want her to understand that she is welcome, if she is willing, to be part of the family that E. and David and I have have worked so hard to create around Anna. (see post below). I want her to know that I am no threat whatsoever; I could not possibly be more happily re-married.

So wish me luck. And if I'm not back in two hours, call 911.


PS. Advice on how to handle the situation is more than welcome!

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Um, good luck? Just keep in mind - you can try to dance with a fish, but now matter how much you want it to dance with you, it's still a fish...

Jodi said...

Damn I hate when people misspell words - I meant but NO matter, blah, blah, blah...

Where's the damn trash basket by my comment????

kate said...

Jod, that's pretty much what David says. He thinks I'm being way overly optimistic. But at least this way I'll know I tried. And Eric will too.

Laura said...

oh. boy.

tallulah said...

Good luck with that Kate! I admire you for trying to do what's right for your little girl. Even if she's a bitch or doesn't agree with you....my advice is to always be civil. Taking the high road goes a looonnng way!

Whosyergurl said...

wow. I'll be sending good kharma. and we expect a full report. including photos!
HUGS,
Cheryl in IN
WHOSYERGURL

Whosyergurl said...

wow. I'll be sending good kharma. and we expect a full report. including photos!
HUGS,
Cheryl in IN
WHOSYERGURL

Jodi said...

Good luck tonight!